Date:      Thu, 18 Oct 2001 13:44:52 -0400
From:      Jason Andresen <jandrese@mitre.org>
To:        Bjarne Wichmann Petersen <mekanix@privat.dk>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Playing DVD

Bjarne Wichmann Petersen wrote:

> Now that there's 3 dvd-players in ports things is starting to get
> interessting.
>
> But there are still some issues. Every player have some flaws and does things
> better than the other. I'm still looking for *the* player. Perhaps some of
> you have a solution?
>
> *Xine*
>
> Isn't it possible to compile it with decss-support (libdvdread?)?
>
> Got poor audio-output. I get this scratchy metallic sound.
>
> Due to css I've not tested xine very much.

Plus Xine seems very unstable right now.

> *Videolan*
>
> Nice one with decss. Sound, as poor as Xine though.
>
> I can only get "widescreen" display (eg. 2.35:1/16:9/1.78:1/whatever ratio)
> when running in xvideo-mode in window. Do I choose another video-output or go
> fullscreen I loose the widescreen. Would be nice to keep the widescreen
> aspect i fullscreen as well.

Videolan's subtitle support is somewhat broken (it probably follows the
spec
exactly, meaning it won't work with pretty much any DVD on the market).
Videolan also appears to be the slowest player of the three.

> *mplayer*
>
> This is the latest I've tried. Nice mpeg2-decoding, very few framedrops
> (compared to the other two).
>
> I was about to buy myself a new soundboard due to Xine and Videolan, until I
> tried mplayer. *NO* artifacts, so my board isn't faulty! wee ;)
>
> mplayer have *almost* become my prefered dvd-player if it wasn't for one big
> showstopper: I can't select another audio-stream, I'm stuck with whatever
> default mplayer finds (directors comment, swedish dubbing whatever). No
> matter what stream I try to set with -aid I get no sound.
>
> And then there is the same widescreen issues as with vlc with a twist. If I
> run mplayer with -gui I loose widescreen, but it still decodes for
> widescreen, so I'm getting long faces.
>
> Anyone got solutions to some of my problems?

I was all ready to extoll the virtues of mplayer until I discovered that
its
subtitle support is completely broken (nothing I can do will make the
subtitles actually appear).  I've not tried the different -aids
however.
Of the three mplayer is the best though.  I think in a few more versions
it will be a very usable simple DVD player.

On a related note, has anybody managed to get Ogle working correctly
yet?
http://www.dtek.chalmers.se/groups/dvd/

--
  \  |_ _|__ __|_ \ __| Jason Andresen        jandrese@mitre.org
 |\/ |  |    |    / _|  Network and Distributed Systems Engineer