Date:      Sun, 16 Dec 2001 19:24:50 +0100 (CET)
From:      Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk <roy@karlsbakk.net>
To:        Dominic Marks <dominic_marks@btinternet.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: in-kernel web server???

> > I've been trying to setup a pretty weird system with Linux and the
> > in-kernel web server Tux. This gives me quite good I/O, and with
> > zero-copy memory operation, this is FAST!
>
> How fast?

on a athlon 1133mhz w/ 1GB ram and two drives in RAID-0, I can do ~50 megs
per sec from disk to nic, reading 200 files simultanous with a pervers
readahead and 4 megs stripe/chunk size, maxing out the PCI bus by reading
from disk to memory, and then to the nic...

> > Problem: Linux caching/buffering sucks, and by reading lots of
> > large files at once (some 200 files, each 3-4GB), the system slows
> > down to a mere 1MB/sec after 30-40 seconds.
> >
> > Are there any Tux/khttpd-like (in-kernel) web servers for FreeBSD?
>
> Services should be in the userland, putting them in the kernel is
> just stupid.

It depends. I can NOT use apache, as it doesn't have any zero-copy
operation. That means, data is read from disk, put into kernel-space
memory, copied to user-space memory, and then handled by Apache.
Tux/khttpd just reads it from disk and copies it to the nic using the
sendfile() call. Similar results have been shown with mmap() on Linux. I
really don't know the BSD world, but I'm thinking seriously about
converting.

roy

--
Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk, MCSE, MCNE, CLS, LCA

Computers are like air conditioners.