Date:      Fri, 28 Jul 1995 18:44:01 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Rob Snow <rsnow@legend.txdirect.net>
To:        Mark Smith <msmith@beta.tricity.wsu.edu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Promise 2300 IDE cntroler work?

On Fri, 28 Jul 1995, Mark Smith wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I'm looking at getting a Promise 2300 ISA EIDE controller for my
> machine.  This card is supposed to support 4 HDDs and 4 floppies along
> with the other usual trivia like 16550 serial ports and a bi-directional
> parallel port.
>
> Has anyone had any experience with this controller?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mark

I've been running mine (2300+ VL Bus) on my AMD DX4-100 since February.
I had with some hitches.  Most of the hitches envolved getting the
DOS/Windows drivers working right.

This was till I noticed that my MB BIOS does 32bit/Multi-Block.  Turned off
all 2300+ drivers except for windows, (windows still offers spooradic
reboots and hangs, but what's new) and turned off 2300+ BIOS and it has
been running great since then.

Had to rebuild kernel with 32bit and Multi-block but that's it.
16550's work great and ECP/EPP was ON with no downside to FreeBSD even
when using lp0.

commercial software from some company up North West aways  :-)  )

---
Rob Snow
rsnow@txdirect.net