Date:      Wed, 06 Sep 2000 10:48:58 -0700
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        Rolandas Naujikas <rn@uosis.mif.vu.lt>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to update -STABLE from remote location ?

In message <Pine.BSF.4.21.0009061020530.26880-100000@resnet.uoregon.edu>
, Doug
White writes:
> On Wed, 6 Sep 2000, Rolandas Naujikas wrote:
>
> > I'm administrator of a server with FreeBSD 4.1-STABLE.
> > Before some time I found than it is not possible replace executable
> > and shared libraries when are used for execution ("Text file busy" error
> > message). So how can I update my -STABLE from remote location ?
>
> You shouldn't, unless you have a serial console, and even then it's
> quite dangerous.  When doing installworld you should shutdown to
> single-user mode to prevent any conflicts or damage.

My team does this with remote Sun systems attached to a serial console
via a FreeBSD system running conserver, as it saves a helijet trip to
the mainland.  We have plans to upgrade the FreeBSD console server
remotely.  Currently we've only upgraded our less critical FreeBSD
systems remotely, a trip by elevator away.  With careful planning it
can be done.

> > I'm thinking abount alternate disk partitions for /usr, /var and /, so I
> > would be able to update into alternate location, and switch rootdev to
> > updated location. How I can switch to boot from different partition ?
>
> Playing with boot options from remote really gives me the willies.  Also
> upgrading production systems is a good way to screw things up.

I've done this with Solaris, Tru64-UNIX, and FreeBSD.  It's an idea I
brought over from the MVS (IBM Mainframe) world, where at our shop we
call it the FOOBAR Roll.  The steps we take (I'll miss some minor steps
for brevity) are,

1.  Copy the system to a disk mounted as /foobar.

2.  Modify /foobar/etc/fstab to reflect new device names for /, /usr,
etc.
    Also modify boot parameters.

3.  chroot /foobar /bin/sh

4.  cd /usr/src

5.  make buildworld, buildkernel, installkernel, boot, installworld.

So far so good.  There is no guarantee that this will work as FreeBSD
evolves, but it works for now and it saves a 30 minute helicopter trip
to Vancouver.  If the system in Vancouver is hosed as  a result of
this, we can live without it for a short while until we can schedule a
trip.

> > P.S. I'm sorry for my language.
>
> You weren't swearing, if that's what you were apologizing for. :)  Your
> English is fine -- be proud.

Team Leader, Sun/DEC Team   Internet:  Cy.Schubert@osg.gov.bc.ca
Open Systems Group, ITSD, ISTA
Province of BC