Date:      Thu, 15 Feb 1996 12:28:58 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        lehey.pad@sni.de (Greg Lehey)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd-doc@freebsd.org, mollers.pad@sni.de
Subject:   Re: Confused!!!! (fwd)

Greg Lehey stands accused of saying:

> Could it be that the lack of replies to this message is the result of
> everybody else being confused as well?  I currently can't get near a

More likely that the message is close to unreadable, and thus easily
ignored by all but the most patient.

> running FreeBSD system, and I honestly don't know a good answer, but I
> get the feeling that we have a bug which manifests itself when using
> booteasy when FreeBSD is not on the first drive.  I've had another
> report of this kind of problem here at SNI, and in this case I'm
> pretty sure it wasn't user error.  Any comments from others?

There are a number of problems with the 2.1 installer's handling of
MBRs.  In the specific case outlined in the original message, the
installer has not written a bootable MBR to the second disk and thus
when Booteasy tries to run it it fails.

The solution here is to use 'bootinst' off the 2.1 CD or FTP site to install
booteasy onto the second disk as well.

> Greg

]] Collector of old Unix hardware.      "I seek PEZ!" - The Tick        [[