Date:      Sun, 27 Jan 2013 22:24:37 -0500
From:      "Isaac (.ike) Levy" <ike@blackskyresearch.net>
To:        Peter Jeremy <peter@rulingia.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: svn - but smaller?

Hi Peter,

On Jan 24, 2013, at 6:13 AM, Peter Jeremy wrote:

> On 2013-Jan-23 15:40:50 +0100, Oliver Brandmueller <ob@e-Gitt.NET> =
wrote:
>> in ancient times there was cvsup. cvsup was a PITA if you wanted (or=20=

>> needed) to install it via ports, the only reasonable way was to use=20=

>> pkg_add for that if you didn't want to pollute your system with=20
>> otherwise unneeded software.
>=20
> There was also ctm(1).  ctm is small, BSD-licensed and has been part
> of FreeBSD forever (almost).  Thanks to stephen@, ctm deltas for
> various src trees, as well as the entire SVN repo are still available.
> c[v]sup can do things than aren't possible with ctm but I would expect
> that most people who currently use c[v]sup could readily migrate to
> using ctm.
>=20
> See http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/ctm.html for details.
>=20
> Note that mirroring the actual SVN repo via ctm requires some patches.
> There is a README and patches in =
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/CTM/svn-cur/
>=20
> --=20
> Peter Jeremy

Thank you for adding the ctm bits in the page, I'm deeply intrigued by =
possibly solving this problem with bits *already* in base?!!

=
https://wiki.freebsd.org/action/diff/UsersFetchingSource?action=3Ddiff&rev=
1=3D6&rev2=3D7

However, even after reading the handbook page, I just don't quite =
understand how to use it on a modern system.  (The handbook page isn't =
too helpful, nor is the man page- perhaps I'm looking at it backwards)  =
Could you help clarify:

- does CTM go away with the CVS servers?
- do CTM-compatable patch/delta files exist on project repos?
- what is the cleanest path to using CTM? (e.g. is the patch you mention =
required)

--
Say I have a bare 9.1 install, no ports, haven't downloaded any base/src =
or ports yet.

Best,
.ike