Date:      Sun, 15 Sep 1996 03:53:14 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        achou@best.com (Amanda Chou)
Cc:        michaelv@MindBender.serv.net, questions@freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org, hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Q: Tyan Tomcat I with > 64MB RAM

> Actually we solved the problem already, and the solution is fairly simple
> (but not terribly obvious). I got those 8 16MB EDO RAMs from two different
> places: Fry's and Chip Merchant. Fry's get their chips from different
> suppliers, while Chip Merchant get theirs only from one place. As soon as
> we put Fry's RAM in lower banks and Chip Merchant's in the higher banks,
> bingo, it started working!

Someone at Chip Merchant is not telling you the whole truth.  They may
be _buying_ all thier memory from the same memory broker, but it comes
from all over the place.

Just taking a sample of my last 5 orders of 32MB, 8MBx36-60nS FPM 24 chip
modules I show these manufactures:

	LGS on 3rd party
	LGS with MT parity on Liteon
	OKI on 3rd party
	OKI on 3rd party
	SEC on 3rd party

You have a very slim chance of getting the same memory 2 orders in a row
from the Chip Merchant, and realize I am a manufacturer who is order in
volume once or twice a week.  (Okay, so now all your folks know where
AAC gets good memory from :-)).

> The lesson we learned is: try to get all your memory made from the same
> factory if you try to build a system with more than 64MB RAM.

Let me guess that some of this EDO memory is made by someone other than
Micron, yea, let me see if I can put my finger on it... could it possibly
be Siemens?  If so be wary, there is a huge batch of these chips floating
around that appear to be marginal.