Date:      Tue, 12 Jan 2010 07:15:27 -0500
From:      Michael Powell <nightrecon@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: watching WebEx session on FreeBSD

Matthias Apitz wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Has someone had luck with watching a WebEx session on FreeBSD based
> desktop? As far as I understand, it is somehow Flash and RDP based, i.e.
> some tools like Firefox with flash and a RDP client are required.
> I'm always forced to launch a VM with XP to watch such sessions and it
> would be good for me to overcome this situation.

I recently returned to using FreeBSD as a KDE 4 desktop after experimenting
with various Linux incantations for a couple of years. I finally got tired
of it. I had used KDE for years on FreeBSD, but it was always "the hard
way". There may be different rough edges, but I've always been convinced
that KDE largely runs better on FreeBSD, especially wrt to 8.0.

Instead of a regular install and subsequent lots of time installing stuff
this time I wanted to check out PCBSD. There are some things I'm not crazy
about but for some reason or another they got Flash 10 working in Firefox
right out of the box. I chose not to use their PIB packaging system for
installing additional software that is not part of the default. I rebuilt
the OS with the make buildworld, etc, dance so my kernel is half the size of
theirs and chose to use portupgrade to manage keeping ports in line. Have
been steadily installing stuff with ports and so far so good.

I installed the beta 3 DVD they have released because I was mainly
interested in FreeBSD 8 and the previous non-Beta is 7.x based. I only used
it as a launch pad and then took over my own maintenance from there.

Now for some reason or another I thought that when I tried the free 14 day
test account that it was Java based. I don't know why this stuck in my mind
at all. However, I am able to look at their Flash demo just fine. So it is
is achievable on FreeBSD.

-Mike