Date:      Tue, 22 Dec 1998 01:20:11 +0000
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
To:        larry_nilsen <larry_nilsen@eee.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ld.so failed

larry_nilsen wrote:

> 1) when i type at the prompt # startx this is my error
> message
> ld.so failed : Cant find shared library "libXmu.so.6.0

[...]

> ONE thing i didnt mention is that when i try to start any x
> program it says im missing lib etc..etc.. shared librarys
> all my needed shared librarys are in /usr/X11R6/lib
> but for some reason the ld.so utility fails to find them.

ld.so reads a hints file in /var/run, which is created by ldconfig at
boot time. Are your X libraries in the hints file? Run this...

$ ldconfig -r | grep X11

If that doesn't show anything, add /usr/X11R6/lib to the ldconfig_paths
variable in /etc/rc.conf, and do this as root:

# ldconfig -m /usr/X11R6/lib

(rebooting would have the same effect, but a minor config change like
that would only require a reboot in the Microsoft world. Reboots are for
hardware/kernel/whole-OS upgrades with Unix.)

--
Ben Smithurst
ben@scientia.demon.co.uk

send a blank message to ben+pgp@scientia.demon.co.uk for PGP key