Date:      Sun, 27 Oct 2013 20:25:12 +1100 (EST)
From:      Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>
To:        Erich Dollansky <erichsfreebsdlist@alogt.com>
Cc:        David Boyd <David.Boyd49@twc.com>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: memstick.img size adjustment

On Sun, 27 Oct 2013 16:01:43 +0800, Erich Dollansky wrote:
 > Hi,
 >
 > On Sun, 27 Oct 2013 18:24:55 +1100 (EST)
 > Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au> wrote:
 >
 > > On Wed, 23 Oct 2013 11:37:04 -0400, David Boyd wrote:
 > >  > Would it be in anyone else's interest to have the size of the
 > >  > memstick images for 10.0-RELEASE+ adjusted upward a little (say
 > >  > 64MB) to allow for some free space on the filesystem?
 > >  >
 > >  > We have custom installation scripts that  add "misc.txz" to the
 > >  > bsdinstall distribution list.  These scripts want "misc.txz" to be
 > >  > able to grow to a few megabytes.
 > >  >
 > >  > The current image is too large for 512MB USB drives, so it would
 > >  > seem that as long as the image remains smaller than 1GB it will
 > >  > still fit on current devices.
 > >
 > > Can you still get 1GB sticks?  I haven't seen anything less than 4GB
 >
 > this does not matter. There are still countries around where a 4 GB
 > download is a problem. Having an image with the size of a CD or at
 > least not crossing 1GB is helpful.

Agreed, Erich.  That doesn't preclude adding a 4GB memstick to the mix,
or at least including a script so those who want one could make one up,
perhaps most ideally from the downloaded DVD image?  I do have a DVD
reader but no burner, and a stick's a lot handier to take to a store.

I'll have a closer look over Daniel's script towards that end.

And David's point stands; some extra space for mods would be useful.
Dunno about 10, but a 9.1 i386 memstick is well short of CD size:

/dev/da0a      609M    568M   -7.9M   101%    /media

cheers, Ian