Date:      Mon, 18 Feb 2002 10:25:15 +0000
From:      freebsd-questions-local@insignia.com
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Email -> SMS Gateway

On Mon, 11 Feb 2002 20:10:56 +1100, brad@bookandmusicclubs.com.au
("Brad") wrote:

>I'm looking to set up an Email -> SMS gateway on my FreeBSD machine.  Its
>primary use will be to notify a list of mobile phones via SMS if a server
>goes down...  We currently have scripts written which notify by email, so i
>figure we continue using these scripts, and just change the email address to
>mobilenumber@foo.bar.com and that sms's the appropriate mobile.
>
>..i think that makes sense.
>
>I'm really just after anyone with experience getting this to work.
>Suggestions for programs, hardware needed - and i guess most importantly..
>is it possible.

We did just this (although it's not in service right now since
the person writing the scripts left us just before it was
ready to deploy). We used a Siemens M20 GSM terminal, which interfaces
via standard serial port, and a Perl script as the email target.

It worked fine.

I do plan to resurrect this "soon" and will use FreeBSD (the original
platform was Solaris).

jim