Date:      Thu, 26 Aug 1999 04:20:44 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        mtaylor@cybernet.com, tejblum@arc.hq.cti.ru
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: newfs of a ccd failing?

>> I've had this problem since at least FreeBSD 3.1-RELEASE (it works in
>> 2.2.7/2.2.8).  Same problem in 3.2-RELEASE and -current (as of last night).

This is because writing of the newfs parameters to the label is broken
(not done) for all disk devices in 2.2.x.  Now it is only broken for
devices that don't support labels properly.

>I always see the error message last months, but it is harmless in
>practice - the filesystem is OK, the ccd is ready to use.
>
>> newfs: ioctl (WDINFO): No such process

I don't know why the errno is ESRCH.

>> newfs: /dev/rccd0c: can't rewrite disk label

Its harm is limited to fsck no being able to find backup superblocks
automatically if the primary superblock is damaged, and newfs not being
able to find some previous fsize and bsize paramters if it is rerun.

Bruce