Date:      Mon, 10 Jun 2002 11:45:58 -0500 (CDT)
From:      burningclown@westhost43.westhost.net
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   pkgdb and stale dependencies

Hi,

I've been using a combination of pkgdb (called with -FuU as options) and
portupgrade to keep my system up to date. Unfortunately I have usually
done this in a fairly thoughtless manner, accepting the dependency resolutions
offered by the system (which, in my defense, have usually seemed pretty
reasonable).

This doesn't seem to be working terribly well any more, and I'm wondering how
to get the information I need to make intelligent decisions when pkgdb
-FuU presents me with a choice such as the following:

Stale dependency: arts_1.0.0_1 -> XFree86-libraries-4.2.0_1:
XFree86-aoutlibs-3.3.6.9 (score: 44%) ? ([y]es/[n]o/[a]ll) [no]

If I hit Enter here, with the no default, I get

New dependency? (? to help):

And eventually wind up in a place where I have to make a decision between 400
odd packages. Winnowing out many of these is easy, but how best to resolve the
dependency in question remains ... and stale dependencies are coming up a lot
when I run pkgdb.

Am I just missing something obvious? I welcome RTFM if someone will tell me
which manual will help. ":)

Thanks in advance for any help.

Best,

Glenn Becker