Date:      Wed, 06 Jan 1999 11:32:37 +0900
From:      Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>
To:        "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp
Subject:   Re: psm0 on laptops.

>On 05-Jan-99 Nate Williams wrote:
>>  Not that I'm aware of.  If you have it plugged in to the PS/2 port, you
>>  *can* switch to the serial version after bootup by physically switching
>>  it and re-configured X to use the serial port version.
>Use moused and tell X to use sysmouse, thats why its there.
>Then X gets events from both mice :)
>
>>  The reason it works under Windblows is because the mouse driver is a
>>  necessary part of the OS, and under FreeBSD it's just another device so
>>  the OS/userland stuff isn't integrated like under Windows.  (Which also
>>  explains why unix is generally more robust, since not everything is
>>  integrated together with the OS...)
>Its still a pitty you can't tell the psm driver to reprobe the mouse...

The psm driver can be instructed to reprobe the mouse after the system
is "resumed."  See the PSM_RESETAFTERSUSPEND in the man page for
psm(4).

But, the psm driver does not currently support PS/2 mouse reprobe
while the system is up, because it is understood that the PS/2 mouse
port in general is not meant for "hot plugging."

Kazu