Date:      Thu, 03 Jan 2013 22:11:13 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Walter Hurry <walterhurry@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pkgng - Obsolete Dependencies?

--------------enig6AC7A98B8218369354FFE27B

On 03/01/2013 20:59, Walter Hurry wrote:
> On several of my boxes (set up with pkgng), libcheck was recorded as a =

> dependency of a number of (wxPython etc.) packages. However, I noticed =

> that on a fresh install, libcheck did not get pulled in.
>=20
> So I returned to the older boxes and reinstalled the depending packages=
,=20
> using 'pkg install -f'. Lo and behold, the dependencies disappeared.
>=20
> Is this expected behaviour?

As far as I can see, libcheck is not currently a dependency of any of
the x11-toolkits/py-wx* ports.  As libcheck is a unit test framework, it
would  be unlikely to be anything other than a BUILD_DEPENDS anyhow --
and if you use pkgng with a repo, the only packages you'ld install and
the only dependencies pkgng would record are the RUN_DEPENDS and
LIB_DEPENDS.

So I don't know why it appeared on your older systems, but having it
disappear on the updated ones would be correct and the expected outcome.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20
Dr Matthew J Seaman MA, D.Phil.