Date:      Tue, 8 Oct 2002 15:35:50 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "f.johan.beisser" <jan@caustic.org>
To:        "Gary W. Swearingen" <swear@attbi.com>
Cc:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Congrats to Brett Glass for new BSD history article

On 8 Oct 2002, Gary W. Swearingen wrote:

> Yes I am, following the lead of copyright law and common English.  If
> only part of something is free, then that something is non-free.  You
> (and DES) said "BSD was always free" which is very different than "the
> Berkeley portion of BSD was always free".

BSD was always free. the AT&T code for UNIX was not.

remember, BSD started as a set of extentions and improvements to AT&Ts
UNIX, and it eventually evolved in to it's own OS. when AT&T realised it
could make cash off of UNIX, it changed the licensing terms, and sued the
University of California for distributing UNIX.

> I suspect that there were many portions of BSD for which one couldn't
> possibly separate into Berkeley and AT&T portions, so that there were
> portions which the two simply had joint ownership of.  Such portions
> were licensed by AT&T and Berkeley under different licenses, and some
> licensees had to pay license fees to use it, making BSD non-free for
> most of it's existence and by no means "always free".

yes, kind of. yes, there were portions of AT&T code, once those were
purged, the BSD code no longer fell under the AT&T license, and could be
distributed freely again. in the meanwhile, the plucky Linux kernel jumped
out of the woodwork.

> I see no need to spin the fact, sordid as it might seem to gnus.

what spin? the facts are just that AT&T gave away UNIX, people took the
code, made extentions to it, gave those away as BSD, then AT&T stopped
giving away UNIX, but BSD was still being given away.

seems simple enough.

  http://caustic.org/~jan                      jan@caustic.org
    "John Ashcroft is really just the reanimated corpse
         of J. Edgar Hoover." -- Tim Triche