Date:      Mon, 03 Aug 1998 10:16:22 -0400
From:      Luis Munoz <lem@cantv.net>
To:        Duncan Barclay <dmlb@ragnet.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        (Patrick Hartling) <mystify@wkstn4-208.lxr.georgetown.edu>, freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Trying to recover lost file

At 12:47 AM 01/08/1998 +0100, Duncan Barclay wrote:
[snip]
>Terry a big problem under FreeBSD is that it hoses the inode pretty
>quickly. I know, I did the same thing to a chapter of my PhD thesis
>a year or so ago. Found the inode as you described and it was all 0...
[snip]

I think many 'modern' UNIXes do. This happened to me on SunOS 4.1.[23]
a few years ago.

In my case (I lost a bunch of C files) it was a matter of reading the
cylinder group with dd and searching with Perl. Since most files were
under 8k, I found them contiguously.

In SunOS, writes were organized in 8k blocks (more in some machines
I think). If FreeBSD does the same then probably you have to do much
less thinkering to assemble the files again.

Regards (and luck!)

-lem