Date:      Mon, 21 Apr 1997 19:26:28 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        current@freebsd.org, imp@village.org
Subject:   Re: Speed deamons: How to build a build box?

>	5) Try to have the disk geometry match the physical disks'
>	   (although I didn't measure anything relating to doing this
>	    or not doing this).

This is bad advice.  It usually makes no difference, but actually
matching "the" geometry is likely to be a small pessimization, and failed
attempts to match "the" geometry is likely to be a large pessimization.
Most modern disks have multiple geometries, one per zone.  To match
them, you need a either a different slice for each geometry so that
you can put the geometries in the labels and use newfs parameters -t0
-u0, or a different partition for each geometry and newfs parameters
-t<actual tracks/cylinder for this partition> -u<actual sectors/track
for this partition>.  You also need to get some of the disk latencies
exactly right (if the latencies depend on the zone, then you need a
slice per geometry, since the latencies aren't newfs parameters).

>As you can see, the biggest pop by far came from the use of async and
>noatime on both /usr/src and /usr/obj.  I suspect that 5400 or 7200

I'm surprised that this makes so much difference (a factor of 2).
Compilation is not very disk intensive.  I didn't notice much change
from using -async here (any improvement was eaten by source tree
bloat :-]).

Bruce