Date:      Tue, 7 Mar 2000 10:21:49 +0100
From:      Dave Boers <djb@relativity.student.utwente.nl>
To:        Devin Butterfield <dbutter@wireless.net>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Error: no such 386 instruction: `state'  ???

It is rumoured that Devin Butterfield had the courage to say:
> Compiling smbd/noquotas.c
> Compiling smbd/reply.c
> {standard input}: Assembler messages:
> {standard input}:4939: Error: no such 386 instruction: `state'
> *** Error code 1

I just solved a problem very similar to yours on one of my machines. It
turned out to be a broken DIMM. The machine had 384 Mb of RAM and broke on
compilations all the time (any ports, kernel or world) with strange
compiler errors, like unknown 386 instructions, internal compiler errors,
assembler errors and source code syntax errors.

I took out all three 128 Mb DIMMS, put them back one at a time and soon
found the problem. I replaced the faulty DIMM and the machine is running
smoothly again. I Stresstested it by doing several make -j 36 buildworld's.

> P.S. Never had this problem under 3.x.

It has probably nothing to do with your version of FreeBSD, although
differences in memory organization might have some influence on the
symptoms. Incidentally, the machine I had problems with was also running
4.0-current.

Regards,

Dave Boers.

--
  Dave Boers             < djb @ relativity . student . utwente . nl >
  Don't let your schooling interfere with your education. (Mark Twain)