Date:      Sat, 28 Mar 1998 10:35:16 -0500
From:      Dan Janowski <danj@3skel.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        danj@3skel.com
Subject:   Network throttle...

I am looking for a way to create a lower bandwidth restriction on an
interface. I have an ethernet interface that I want to restrict to a
maximum
of T1 throughput.

1. Is there a way to do this (easy or kernel hacking)

What happens, i.e. the mechanics, when there is a higher
capacity link feeding into a lower capacity link. Where does all
the data go? I know it is buffered to an extent, but that has limits.
Do the packets get dropped? I seem to remember an ICMP type that
indicates transmission of too much data and for the sender to cut back
or something.

All thanks,

Dan

--