Date:      Mon, 9 May 2016 11:46:02 -0700
From:      Freddie Cash <fjwcash@gmail.com>
To:        Ultima <ultima1252@gmail.com>
Cc:        John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD-Current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: NO_INSTALLEXTRAKERNELS and PkgBase

On Mon, May 9, 2016 at 11:40 AM, Ultima <ultima1252@gmail.com> wrote:

> If multiple kernels are being installed like this, eg KERNCONF=3D"FOO BAR=
",
> which of the two would be default during boot? FOO because it came first?

=E2=80=8BCorrect.  At least, that's the way it's worked in the past, and so=
mething
I've used quite a bit on FreeBSD 7-9.  I always have GENERIC and a custom
kernel listed in KERNCONF, with my custom kernel listed first.
KERNCONF=3D"FIREWALL GENERIC" for exmaple.  That way, my custom kernel is
installed as /boot/kernel, and GENERIC is installed as
/boot/kernel.GENERIC, which provides me with a fall-back in case I screw
something up with my custom kernel (happens frequently).  :)

I used to do it manually using two separate installkernel steps using an
env var to specify the installation directory (/boot/GENERIC) (forget the
name of that var right now), but switched to using the automatic
installation behaviour when it became available.  Simplified things a bit.

I haven't compiled a kernel on 10+ yet; hopefully the behaviour hasn't
changed.  ;)
=E2=80=8B=E2=80=8B
--=20
Freddie Cash