Date:      Mon, 21 Oct 2002 21:48:34 UT
From:      "leegold" <leegold@fastmail.fm>
To:        "mike shupp" <mikeshupp@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fbsd 4.7 - where is XF86Setup ?

On Mon, 21 Oct 2002 10:24:34 -0700, "mike shupp" <mikeshupp@hotmail.com>
said:
> Your complaint should be addressed to the XFree86 people, not to
> FreeBSD.  Quoting from their site (www.xfree86.org):
>  " The next step is to configure the X server. That is covered in detail
> in  an as-yet unwritten document :-(. In the meantime, there are three ways
> to  create a basic X server configuration file for XFree86 4.2.1. One is to
> run  the xf86config utility. Another is to run the xf86cfg utility. The third
> option is to use the new -configure X server option:
> XFree86 -configure"
>
> XF86Setup doesn't exist for X11 version 4.2 in other words.

I tried the  "-configure X" option as described in the handbook.
Ok. Then the handbook says go into the config file itself and edit it.
Ok, I did just that and was confronted code not mentioned in the
handbook,
as a matter of fact the handbook only gives a vague incomplete outline on
how to
edit the config file. Don't beleive me?

It's a blunder for XFree but it's a problem for FreeBsd users.
I'm wrong? Then were's a page in the handbook that I can copy in
for my card and my config? There is none? Were's a page in the handbook
that ACTUALLY reflects what the x config file looks like and what changes
should be made - fact: there is none. Where's XF86Setup? It's gone.

I've got to stop whining and move on to another disto and
leave you guys alone - I'm sorry.