Date:      Wed, 2 Apr 2008 09:17:30 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Stefan Hauser <etienne@usr.ch>
To:        freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: hal and ntfs-3g

> >> hmm. not as easy, as i was guessing. at least not with 7.x.
> >> 6.3 /sbin/mount constructs a mount_type with whatever type was specified with
> >> -t, so, no problem to introduce new filesystems.
> >> 7.x /sbin/mount has a fixed list compiled in, so mount -t ntfs-3g fails.
 [...]
> > What does the fuse maintainer have to say about this?  I'm sure users
> > have complained about this before.  What's the recommended way to mount
> > fuse volumes?
> >

> Currently the recommendation is to dl the patch from the maintainers web
> sight and apply it see /usr/local/share/doc/ntfs-3g/README.FreeBSD ...
> if you can get it to mount from /etc/rc please let me know since I can
> only get it to work from the command line (already sent a message to the
> maintainer)

patching src/sbin/mount/mount.c works for me. for hal and fstab.
but with hal, there is another problem. you can mount, but you can't unmount.
hal uses /dev/ntfs/LABEL, but with fuse, the device mounted will be
/dev/fuseX..

<THINK:ETIENNE /home/etienne>mount|grep XP
/dev/fuse1 on /media/XP (fusefs, local, noatime, noexec, nosuid, synchronous)
<THINK:ETIENNE /home/etienne>cat /media/.hal-mtab
/dev/ntfs/XP	1042	0	ntfs-3g	noexec,nosuid,locale=en_GB.UTF-8	/media/XP
<THINK:ETIENNE /home/etienne>gnome-mount -v -b -u -p XP
gnome-mount 0.7
Resolved pseudonym "XP" -> /dev/ntfs/XP
** (gnome-mount:1912): DEBUG: Unmounting /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/volume_uuid_CE70F5D970F5C7EB
** (gnome-mount:1912): WARNING **: Unmount failed for /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/volume_uuid_CE70F5D970F5C7EB: org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume.NotMounted : According to HAL, the volume is not mounted

don't know how linux handles the fusefs stuff. so far i don't find a hint in
the source. but i think, hal/gnome-mount needs some basic changes for handling
fusefs. not only for ntfs-3g.

   etienne