Date:      Thu, 29 May 1997 23:55:01 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tom Samplonius <tom@sdf.com>
To:        jbryant@tfs.net
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ahc0

On Thu, 29 May 1997, Jim Bryant wrote:

> just another observation...
>
> iozone shows drastic reductions in throughput on a SCSI-2 2G
> barracuda...  i was getting approximately 5.5-6.5 M/S on both read and
> write under 2.1-R...
>
> now i get approximately 2.5 M/S write and 4.5-5.5 M/S read...
>
> options		AHC_TAGENABLE              # experimental
>
> is the 2.1-R config and gives the above results...
>
> options 	AHC_ALLOW_MEMIO
>
> seems to give no improvement...
>
> currently running 2.2.2-R

  If you are sure the hardware is the same, it it likely the newfs options
you used.  You probably shouldn't use any.

  I get easy 6 to 7MB with a Barracuda 4LP 2GB drive on large sequential
writes to a test file using dd, under 2.2.2.  My impressions are that
2.2.2 has nice performance improvements over 2.1.x

> jim
> --
> All opinions expressed are mine, if you   | "I will not be pushed, stamped,
> think otherwise, then go jump into turbid | briefed, debriefed, indexed, or
> radioactive waters and yell WAHOO !!!     | numbered!" - #1, "The Prisoner"
>  jbryant@tfs.net - KC5VDJ 2M, 70cm, KPC-3+ - kc5vdj@wv0t.#neks.ks.usa.noam

Tom