Date:      06 Jul 1999 17:03:28 -0500
From:      Joel Ray Holveck <joelh@gnu.org>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        Bill Fumerola <billf@chc-chimes.com>, "G. Adam Stanislav" <adam@whizkidtech.net>, haodongpan@netease.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: how to start to be a hacker?

>>> You either are a hacker, or you are not. It is not something someone else
>>> can teach you.
>> This deserves a FAQ entry. What an awesome response.
> But it's certainly NOT something that you just are, either.  You have to
> have talent, but you also have to have experience.  This is most often
> done by a mentor.

I think the general gist was summed up in Levy[1]:
"If a hacker's made, he's got to be born; but if a hacker's born, he's
gonna be made."
(I haven't read Levy in ages, and I am probably mangling the quote.  I
can't even be sure that it's from Levy.  FWIW, I think the originator
was either Gosper or GLS.)

Cheers,
joelh

[1] Levy, Steven. _Hackers_. Anchor/Doubleday 1984 ISBN 0-385-19195-2

--
Joel Ray Holveck - joelh@gnu.org
   Fourth law of programming: