Date:      Tue, 3 Aug 1999 21:40:13 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Robert Nordier <rnordier@nordier.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Multiple versions of FreeBSD on one HDD

At 8:01 PM +0200 8/3/99, Robert Nordier wrote:
>Garance wrote:
> >     - If I select 2.2.8 at the PowerBoot menu, it comes up
> >       with one error message about "no /boot/loader", but
> >       then it comes right up in the 2.2.8 system.  So this
> >       works fine, although it looks odd.
>
>You're using the new boot blocks for 2.2.8, and these always try
>to pass control to loader(8).  To get rid of the message, create
>a /boot.config file with the line
>      /kernel
>in it.

Yes, that did get rid of the minor error message.  Thanks.

> >     - If I select 3.2 at the PowerBoot menu, it comes up
> >       with two messages about "invalid partition", [...]
> >       It seems to want to boot 'da(0,a)/kernel', but if I
> >       type in 'da(0,e)/kernel', then it boots up fine.
>
>The problem here is a missing `a' partition.  Seems like your
>first partition on that slice is `e'.  There's a one-line
>patch to boot2 to get this working, but the standard version
>only autoboots from the `a' partition.

I did my fdisk-ing for both 2.2.8 and 3.2 systems while doing
the installation of 2.2.8 (I wanted to use the same partition
for swap on both, and that freebsd-partition was going to be
in the same fdisk-slice as the 3.2 install would be).  Might
that be why I don't have an "a" partition in the third slice?
(the slice meant for freebsd-3.2).

     [in case that doesn't make sense, here's the layout I
      ended up with, as seen from the 3.2 system:
Filesystem  1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/da0s3e     39647    21280    15196    58%    /
/dev/da0s3g    248047   108480   119724    48%    /Users
/dev/da0s3h    985287   465169   441296    51%    /usr
/dev/da0s3f     59519     1905    52853     3%    /var
procfs              4        4        0   100%    /proc
/dev/da0s2a     38991    19802    16070    55%    /228Root
/dev/da0s2f    390942   351090     8577    98%    /228Usr
/dev/da0s2e     59471      950    53764     2%    /228Var
     with /dev/da0s3b being my swap partition when
     booting either system.  swapinfo from 3.2 shows:
Device      1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Type
/dev/da0s3b    256000        0   255872     0%    Interleaved
     ]

I'd rather not depend on patching boot2.  Given that I wouldn't
mind (too much) to do some reinstalls, is there some way I can
end up with the first freebsd-partition in the third fdisk-slice
to be named /dev/da0s3a instead of /dev/da0s3e?

For instance, is this where your recommendation of:

>It's usually best to temporarily change fdisk partition types,
>so that sysinstall sees no existing FreeBSD slice on the drive.
>However, there may be other problems involved here as well.

would be help me out?  (how does that first partition on the
third slice end up as "e" anyway?  I didn't explicitly ask
for that...)

> > I have a number of questions from doing this:
> >     1. why does the install turn my HD unbootable?  (invalid
> >        partition table).  I didn't ask it to re-fdisk anything,
> >        and I didn't ask for it to change my boot loader.
>
>There are a number of possibilities, but one would have to look
>at a copy of the broken MBR to be sure.  (The most usual reason
>for an "invalid partition table" message is multiple partitions
>flagged as active, or partitions that use the new-style active
>flag that is supported from Win95.  This can be sorted out by
>booting from floppy or CD-ROM and using fdisk.)

I'll be out of town for a few days here, but maybe I'll try some
re-installs when I get back, and see if I can figure out some of
these things.

Thanks.

---
Garance Alistair Drosehn           =   gad@eclipse.acs.rpi.edu