Date:      Tue, 24 Aug 1999 23:33:22 +0200
From:      Gary Jennejohn <garyj@peedub.muc.de>
To:        Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.RWTH-Aachen.DE>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mbufs eaten up - when pinging

Christoph Kukulies writes:

>With a non-functioning route over isdn (i4b) I'm observing
>that mbufs allocated soon reach the limit and then I'm getting
>'no buffer space' available. I'm not sure whether
>the networking stack is still usable for other purposes
>but I prefer to reboot.
>
>I just want to bring up this issue because it looks to
>me like some resource leak which need not have to be.

This is not a sign of a leak, rather that thing's are working as designed.

The queues only allow a limited number of packets (50 I think) to be put
into them before they're full and you start seeing the "no buffer space"
message. Maybe it would be clearer if it were "transmit queue is full",
or something like that.

Obviously, if your ISDN is not sending out any packets then the queues
will fill up rather quickly when you do a ping.

The easiest way to solve this is to down the interface and then up it.
That automatically flushes the queues. You do not have to reboot.

You need to fix your ISDN problem :)

---
Gary Jennejohn
Home - garyj@muc.de