Date:      Tue, 04 Dec 2007 19:07:33 +0100
From:      Marcin Cieslak <saper@system.pl>
To:        freebsd-acpi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sony VAIO SZ5MN - unable to power off using ACPI

Alexey Tarasov wrote:

>> The strange thing
>> about this machine is that it has two graphic cards on
>> board selected using a special switch that works only at system boot.
>> In "speed" position NVidia GeForce 7400 card is used, in "stamina"
>> position standard Intel 950 from the chipset. If in "stamina" mode,
>> NVidia card disappears from PCI device listing completely. (This does
>> not happen after the system is running - only you can tell from
>> different pciconf outputs after reboot).
>

> By the way, it seems that Windows always loads both drivers (at least
> services of nvidia and intel video cards always are loaded), but changing of
> mode (stamina/speed) also needs reboot.

No, it doesn't. After fresh Windows install I was using only nVidia,
when I switched to Intel ("stamina") after installation and reboot it
booted in low resolution mode started installing Intel drivers only
then. Only after driver install I got normal resolution.

> But I also think, problem is in two graphics cards. I've compiled kernel
> practically without statically linked modules and unloaded all firewire,
> WiFi, Ethernet and etc related, before going to S5, but was not able to
> power off correctly (the only way to power off - switch off power cord and
> plug off battery. Or use shutdown -h, then power off manually by pressing
> and holding power button. But in last case, HDD is not correctly parked).

I don't know if two cards are a problem .... after switching to nVidia
the following two PCI devices are starting to be just normal "pcib"
stuff. And additional nVidia PCI device appears.

vgapci0@pci0:0:2:0:     class=0x030000 card=0x81e6104d chip=0x27a28086
rev=0x03 hdr=0x00
     vendor     = 'Intel Corporation'
     device     = 'Mobile 945GM/GU Express Integrated Graphics Controller'
     class      = display
     subclass   = VGA
vgapci1@pci0:0:2:1:     class=0x038000 card=0x81e6104d chip=0x27a68086
rev=0x03 hdr=0x00
     vendor     = 'Intel Corporation'
     device     = 'Mobile 945GM/GU Express Integrated Graphics Controller'
     class      = display

I think I don't have TPM (no option in BIOS at least).

> When nVidia GeForce is offed ("stamina" mode) ACPI driver writes such
> message: "can't evaluate \_SB_.PCI0.GFX0.LCD_.DCS - AE_NOT_FOUND"

Same here. I get two slightly different ASLs when booting into nVidia mode:

http://akson.sgh.waw.pl/~saper/FreeBSD/acpi/asl.diff

Looks like one memory region is shifted then.

Some things like IGDS and GPIC look interesting, maybe in theory it is
possible to switch graphic cards at run-time? :-)

Need to learn a bit more ASL :)

Can you post your ASLs somewhere?

--Marcin