Date:      Sat, 20 Jun 1998 20:02:49 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        joelh@gnu.org
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, fenner@parc.xerox.com, peter@netplex.com.au, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bogus errno twiddling by lstat...

> If, however, you don't like our malloc's current implementation, and
> think that errno should be saved and restored across a successful
> call, and that the lost cycles would be worthwhile, then diffs would
> be perfectly welcome, I'm sure.

Since the malloc.conf file is unnecessarily being looked for in the
printf case (since ld.so already caused it to be looked for, and didn't
find it), I think the redundant call to llok for it is certainly worth
removing.

I would also not save and restore state, except in anticipation of
an error.  If the cached value were being used (as it should be),
then the malloc.conf reference shouldn't have been tried (and not being
tried, the errno would not be in danger of being blown).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.