Date:      Tue, 8 Dec 2020 10:45:38 +0100
From:      Alex Dupre <ale@FreeBSD.org>
To:        David Probst <davidkprobst@me.com>
Cc:        "ports@freebsd.org" <ports@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Port: roundcube-php80-1.4.9,1

David Probst wrote:
> I have successfully installed fully working late(st) versions Apache wi=
th PHP support, dovecot, postfix and MySQL 8.x servers all happily doing =
the right things and yet Roundcube will not connect to the database serve=
r regardless. I even tried using MariaDB I still have no joy. There is so=
mething fundamentally wrong yet no log files or any other information I c=
an find on the web has led me to overcome these last steps which has me s=
omewhat perplexed.

The setup should be quite straight-forward, following just these two
entries in the INSTALL file:

4. Create a new database and a database user for Roundcube (see DATABASE
SETUP)
5. Point your browser to http://url-to-roundcube/installer/

Said so, you are using php8 and mysql8, and these versions can surely
give some more headaches:
1) PHP 8: I don't think it's officially supported by roundcube, it may
work but not 100% guaranteed
2) MySQL 8: it includes a change in the default authentication system
that broke almost all php installations. To restore the old behavior a
possibility is to use a my.cnf file with:

[mysqld]
default_authentication_plugin =3D mysql_native_password

--=20
Alex Dupre