Date:      Mon, 23 Mar 2009 22:24:14 +0100
From:      Andreas Tobler <andreast-list@fgznet.ch>
To:        Marcel Moolenaar <xcllnt@mac.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD PowerPC ML <freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: cross build world on amd64 install on ppc

Replying to /dev/null

Andreas Tobler wrote:
> Marcel Moolenaar wrote:
>> On Mar 14, 2009, at 1:40 PM, Andreas Tobler wrote:

>>> I have taken the approach to nfs export the /usr/src and the /usr/obj
>>> from the amd64 to the powerpc machine.
>>
>> You can NFS export DESTDIR and mount that on your powerpc
>> machine.
>
> I'll try that later.

Done that now. See below.

[snip]

>> I think the easiest approach is to do an installworld on
>> your amd64 and mount that on your powerpc machine. You
>> can use rsync to sync your powerpc /. Alternatives are
>> tar, cp -R, etc...
>
> Yes, another possibility.
> I do not have an urgent need to have a newly built world on my ppc. I'm
> just playing.

The above advise seems to be the 'cheapest' one. And also the one which
serves with best success rates :)

>> It would be great if we can improve the process so that
>> you can build on machine X and install on machine Y, by
>> sharing usr and obj trees.
>
> That would be great. I'll continue playing.

I exercised the above on sparc64 and built and installed a cross
world/kernel, exported the install directory via nfs and did the rsync job.
Great!! This worked fine.

Thank you Marcel for the hint!

Regards,
Andreas