Date:      Wed, 30 Aug 1995 10:46:33 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        vince@penzance.econ.yale.edu (-Vince-)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrade to my machine

-Vince- stands accused of saying:
> 	Hmmm, what about machines in terms like SUN's, HP's will the P90
> compare to since the Alpha is a fast machine.

Depends lots on what you're doing with them; in a straight line, the P90
is pretty quick, but what you put around it largely determines how it will
perform in an applications context.  (Especially memory/cache/disk)

>> Anyone who does big models of any sort uses huge amounts of memory,
>> as Rod already observed.
>
>	That's true but who would actually need a gig of ram?

In one of my looking-for-work periods, I did some time as a CAD operator
for the local telephone company, feeding all of their cabling details
into a mixed oracle/GDS database.

We were using Decstations (mostly /133's) with 64M of core and ~500M of
swap.  They used to thrash horribly whenever you moved around the suburb,
and often ran out of swap.  The database admin machine had 128M of core
and several GB of swap (for working in larger areas, obviously).

Ahh, fond memories... whenever you wanted a 5 min. break, a surreptitions
^\ in the GDS window kept your supervisor scurrying 8) (And none of them
ever worked it out ... )

Anyway, this is rather off-topic 8)