Date:      Sat, 23 Nov 2002 02:05:03 +0100
From:      dslb@tiscali.dk
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Assembly and ELF

OK, I have read some more now and will ask a few questions. If I am askin=
the wrong place, please say so.
1. If have found part of what I am looking for:
http://www.cs.ucdavis.edu/~haungs/paper/node14.html#sections
But I need more info (in depth info). Is .bss =3D the heap?

2. I would like more info about the FreeBSD program loader. I would like
to know what happens when you load a program, what is put in the ram. I
have come by a short list:
Fist .text
Then .data
Last the stack.
But I would really like to know more about how FreeBSD use these, what is=

else there (in the ram)?

3. I also read that when a buffer is overflowed, it is because this happe=
ns:
a) The system make room in the stack for the buffer
b) The buffer is overwritten.
What I don't understand is why the stack is being use to store whole stri=
ngs
in (I understand that it is used to store addresses of string and other
data). Why doesn't the program/system write to .data?

Hope someone can help me with these questions.

br
socketd