Date:      Sat, 6 Jun 2020 14:19:55 -0500
From:      Kyle Evans <kevans@freebsd.org>
To:        =?UTF-8?Q?Klaus_K=C3=BCchemann?= <maciphone2@googlemail.com>
Cc:        Robert Crowston <crowston@protonmail.com>,  "freebsd-arm@freebsd.org" <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Report: FreeBSD on Rpi4 8 GB model

On Sat, Jun 6, 2020 at 2:13 PM Klaus K=C3=BCchemann via freebsd-arm
<freebsd-arm@freebsd.org> wrote:

> > Am 06.06.2020 um 20:15 schrieb Robert Crowston via freebsd-arm <freebsd=
-arm@freebsd.org>:

> > =E2=80=A6...
> > Edit board/raspberrypi/rpi/Kconfig, set RPI_EFI_NR_SPIN_PAGES to a larg=
er number (I picked 10, probably too big, but it was easier than doing the =
arithmetic).

> > =E2=80=A6=E2=80=A6
> >

> You mean that https://reviews.freebsd.org/D24085  rpi4_fragment has to se=
t SPIN_PAGES from 2 to 10 ?
> This could be done in sysutils/u-boot-rpi4 , perhaps with something like =
 an  #ifdef RPI4/8GB=E2=80=9C for the first try .

No, SPIN_PAGES=3D2 is fine; the default in upstream is 1 because they
don't need any more, so he would've needed to manually bump it to 2.

You should be able to just add CONFIG_NR_DRAM_BANKS=3D8 to
sysutils/u-boot-rpi4's rpi4_fragment and it 'just work' -- this was
tested on IRC a couple days ago, and should be safe for all variants
as far as I'm aware (but needed to test on my 4GB variant). Even
without this setting, it should still largely boot; you'll just only
have half the memory you wanted.

Thanks,

Kyle Evans