Date:      Sun, 14 May 2000 13:52:20 +0100
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
To:        Alex Kwan <alexkwan@pacific.net.hk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: A basic question about C programming

Alex Kwan wrote:

> I am learning C programming with FreeBSD, I write a simple C program
> (filename: inform.c) as follow:
> #include <stdio.h>
> main()
> {
>     printf("A .c is used to end a C program filename.\n");
> }
>
> I compile it with "cc -o inform inform.c",  when the compilation is
> finished,
> I have got the file "inform", but it can't execute and got the error
> "inform: Command not found", What is the problem of me?

As the other answer said, use ./inform.  The reason for this is that
by default most Unix systems do not look in the current directory for
program files.  If they did, that could be a security problem.  Imagine
you were running as root, and someone placed a script called "ls" in
/tmp which deleted every file on your disk, and without knowing about
this, you did

# cd /tmp
# ls

oops.  This can be avoided partly by putting "." at the end of your PATH
so it's checked last, but they could still anticipate typos and put a
script called "sl" there instead.

--
Ben Smithurst / ben@scientia.demon.co.uk / PGP: 0x99392F7D