Date:      Sat, 11 Dec 2004 18:54:18 -0700
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.ilk.org>, Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Un-GNOME-ing a FreeBSD box

At 06:42 PM 12/11/2004, Lowell Gilbert wrote:

>That isn't supposed to happen.  If another port has X11 listed as a
>dependency, "make deinstall" would have said so and refused to remove
>it..

Which, by the way, is what the owner of the machine is seeing. He's
listed the ports that were installed by running pkg_info, and is
laboriously visiting each one's directory and trying to do a
"make deinstall". But it's refusing to delete things due to dependency
issues. I'm not sure, but I'll bet that the dependencies here aren't
a clean, hierarchical tree but rather more of a "web". If there's
a circular dependency, he's stuck.

Again, I really find it hard to believe that there would be no provision
for deleting a port AND the ports on which it depends cleanly. I tend
to use a minimal number of ports and packages, and so didn't realize
that this was such a difficult thing until now.

--Brett