Date:      01 Mar 2002 15:31:57 -0800
From:      swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: GUI  question.

"Mike Meyer" <mwm-dated-1015433546.4c7b1e@mired.org> writes:

> You might want to consider either ratpoison, or the plpwm example
> bundled into plwm, both of which are *much* saner solutions for
> stacking and moving xterms than anything else I've seen.
>
> Having to actually touch the rodent just to activate a different
> xterm?  What a waste!

Good old fvwm2 gives pretty good control of windows (and their
containers, pages, and their containers, desktops) with keys.  Cycle up,
down, iconize, goto a particular ones (favorites, though not
dynamically, by name), other things I've not tried.

I keep most windows stacked in the upper left corner (with 2 pixel space
for easy access of background mouse menus), most filling screen except
one inch right border which has (from top down) round clock,
day/date/time, xload, xosview (CPU,mem,swap,paging), button bar
(1/4" x 1" buttons stacking down which may be used to de/iconize or
raise+fucus windows), and at bottom, a two-desktop, four-page pager
(one desktop with red background to warn of the root xterms there).
The config file allows key/menu/button/etc. definitions

And best of all: no icons anywhere.