Date:      24 Dec 2002 10:10:04 -0500
From:      Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
To:        Baas van Grat <lo0@gmx.net>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Thinkpad 600 (Type 2645) & display settings & sound

  [display sort of blanked after 10 min]

I have this problem too, on a a 2645-4AU.  To recover, I switch to a
text console and back.  I think the BIOS is doing some power saving,
and this could perhaps be turned off with the 'ps2.exe' program, or
adjusted to be longer.  Curiously, this problem only appeared when I
swapped TFT panels (the whole top half) with a 2645-41U.

I find that it goes into this backlight-only mode after resume, but
that if X activates the screensaver it goes all black, and then the
shift key brings it back.

There are several issues with sound (all from memory and a bit fuzzy):

  There was a 'csa' pci driver that attached the sound chip, and one
  has to remove this to make it work.  See
  http://www.cse.ucsc.edu/~dkulp/fbsd/laptop.html#notes118
  for details and a kernel config (thanks to Kevin once again).

  The sound driver does not save/restore the mixer levels across
  suspend/resume, so when it comes back they are zero.  This is a SMOP.

  The chip in the 600E (2645-4AU, don't know about 600s (-41U at
  least)) has a third set of registers with a funky extra-indirect
  interface to get at them, and the mic gain is there instead of the
  usual place for similar chips.  AFAIK, this only affects recording.

        Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>