Date:      Wed, 12 Jul 1995 19:02:44 -0400
From:      dennis@et.htp.com (dennis)
To:        "Serge A. Babkin" <babkin@hq.icb.chel.su>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Wanted: 100bT EISA ethernet recommendation

>> >EISA bus speed is 33Mb per sec which is 3.3 times faster than 100bT
>> >ethernet, so speed is not a problem.
>> >
>> You're arguing against yourself here. I hope that EISA is more than 33mbs
>> since I get 40mbs on my 10mhz ISA bus. But I was pretty sure that 100bT was
>              ^^^^^       ^^
>ISA bus takes two cycles per transfer and transfers 2 bytes. Normal clock
>speed is 16MHz, it gives 8M transfers per second and 16MBs. Perhaps your
>bus gives 10M transfers per second (I don't believe that you have slowed
>your bus :-) ) and 20MBs. But not 40.
>
>> 100mbs.....
>  ^^^^^^
>Yes, 100 Mega bits (Mbs) per second, not Bytes (MBs) :-)
>	      ^^^^
Thats 40Mbs (megabits, that is) on an ISA bus....normal speed is
8MHz...although 10MHz is more commom...avg cycle time 400ns. 40Mbs Forget
about theoretical bus throughput...this is an actual test number for a
sustained transfer. You can never acheive the theoretical maximum for very long.

My question is whay isn't anyone blasting the guy who started this with the
above posting of 33Mb (whilch Michael Smith so eloquently pointed out should
be MB)?????

db