Date:      Tue, 25 Aug 1998 00:57:06 -0500
From:      uncomfortably numb <burn@visi.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   PPP, and the problems it causes

i have configured kernel ppp as well as user ppp on my system according
to the man pages, FAQ, and handbook, but neither of them works...kind
of. i connect and start a session alright, however, if i try using any
kind of program, like telnet, ping, ncftp, irc, etc., it just hangs and
does nothing. in X, if i am connected via PPP netscape won't even start.
I get no error messages. the strange thing is, however, that lynx works
just fine--for a numeric IP with either kernel or user PPP (DNS doesn't
work either). i'v had many people try and figure out what is going on
and why lynx is the odd one out, but no one can seem to figure it out.
i'v tried changing my modem around and rebuilding the kernel, etc. and
this is what happens. any ideas?

thanks,

-brian