Date:      Tue, 06 Feb 96 08:47:00 PST
From:      Duncan Barclay <Duncan.Barclay@pa-consulting.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>

Hi

I had this idea over the weekend whilst I was slowly running out of swap
on my machine at home and not noticing.

I am going to write a daemon to keep an eye on the ammount of swap used
and add extra to the system using the vn driver. if a threshold is crossed.
I ensivige this to be useful to people with home machines which are rebooted
most days and dont always need loads of swap space. The swap files
created would be deleted on the next reboot by rc or as part of the daemon
configuration.

Questions:
     Has anyone done it before.

     Would a fstab like config script be better than
     automatically finding spare vnodes in /dev and
     allocating space.
     ie.
     #file               vnode          size threshold
     #                             to create on
     /usr/tmp/swapfile1  /dev/vn0a 12M  80%
     /usr/tmp/swapfile2  /dev/vn0b 12M  80%
     /disk2/tmp/swapfile /dev/vn0c 24M  90%
     where the threshold is the percentage of currently used swap.

     Should the swap usage be looked at over a long time to determine
     threshold or be faily reactive?

     Would it be useful to others?

Any thoughts would be helpful.

Thanks