Date:      Wed, 25 Aug 1999 20:08:12 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
To:        freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net (Rodney W. Grimes)
Cc:        green@FreeBSD.ORG, richard@cogsci.ed.ac.uk, syssgm@detir.qld.gov.au, jeremyp@gsmx07.alcatel.com.au, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Softupdates reliability?

As Rodney W. Grimes wrote ...

> > > The original K6-2's off the line where all 100MHz parts, it was later when
> > > AMD found that some people where sticking these in 66MHz boards and trying
> > > to run them with a 66MHz FSB and having troubles that AMD started to test
> > > the parts for 66MHz operation, they had to make some changes in the I/O
> > > buffers and then qualify a new part number and those are the ones stamped 66.
> > >  Aka AMD 6K86-2-P300/66 vs AMD 6K86-2-P300/100 for those who know what a
> > > real AMD part number is.
> >
> > Rod,
> >
> > Do I understand you correctly that I should get a 66Mc variant for my Asus
> > T2P4 because a 100Mc is unlikely to work? Or are the newer 100Mc chips also
> > coping OK with 66Mc FSB?
>
> Yes, you stand a far better chance of making this hack work with a 66MHz
> part.    No the newer std parts are not designed to run with a 66MHz FSB,
> you should always order them as /66.  Note that AMD has stopped making
> these chips due to low demand for them (with 100MHz boards <$80 USA the
> price/performance is usually worth it for most folks.)

The USA... your prices tend to be a lot better than ours. I could can the
T2P4 but that would also mean I had to can the SIMMs (everything is DIMMs
now), get an AGP videocard and can the perfectly fine Millenium II (I need
the extra PCI slot quite badly) and buy a new CPU. Oh, and buy an ATX case.
In the end that is quite a bit more than $80. Unfortunately.

> > (I'm aware of the slight hardware hack required to make a T2P4 accept a K6-2.
> > What would be the fastest K6-2 running ok with a 66 FSB? And is this
> > potential upgrade worthwhile, with K6-2 going here for around 80-90$ or so?)
>
> I've got about 8 of the T2P4's here and I'm not going to bother with it,

I must say I still like the T2P4 a alot. Works just fine for me.

> they are all getting replaced with 100MHz boards...  and 450MHz chips
> that have now fallen to <$82 US.  And I pick up 1MB L2 cache while I'm
> at it :-)

Yep, there are more goodies included ;)