Date:      Tue, 22 Apr 1997 18:38:06 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        jbryant@tfs.net, bakul@torrentnet.com, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: disklabel -- owner?

In message <199704211655.JAA13746@phaeton.artisoft.com> Terry Lambert writes:
: NetBSD has upped this to 16 (or was it OpenBSD).

OpenBSD defintitely did it.  I don't think that NetBSD has done
anything about this.

OpenBSD can grok, btw the old style disklabels that FreeBSD writes.
Had I known this when I was hacking on OpenBSD/arc at the outset, I'd
have saved myself a lot of grief about learning how to boot a machine
diskless :-(.

: Either way, it's possible to up the number... but is it desirable?

Yes.  I think so.  Not enought to try to do the work, however.

: how big the BSD partition is.  So 'c' and 'd' are redundant (all
: redundancy not related to fault tolerance should be eliminated).

I think that 'd' is no longer used, on freeBSD, for this purpose.  It
doesn't show up at all in any of my disklabel edits that I've been
doing lately.

Warner