Date:      Thu, 29 Nov 2001 10:33:26 -0500 (EST)
From:      Marco Radzinschi <marco@radzinschi.com>
To:        Roger Merritt <mcrogerm@stjohn.ac.th>
Cc:        FreeBDS-Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: MS-Word (Was: Feeding the Troll)

Roger:

	We do this sort of thing at work all the time.  We export data
from our client database to a text file, and then do an appropriate mail
merge.  Mail merges are done with Word Perfect, but for ten of thousands
of records instead of hundreds as in your case.

If Word does everything you need though, I don't see why you should
change.  Unless of course your license is about to expire. :-)

I personally have hit Word's limits, and since I have been using Word
Perfect since version 5 for DOS, I have become so used to its features
that I do not work very efficiently without them.  For me, this means that
typing anything other than relatively simple text takes me forever in
Word, and fixing a screwup is out of the question.

There are also some *behavioral* things about Word that I do not like.
For example, I select double space, and it is not applied to subsequent
paragraphs.  I do a CTRL+A to highlight all paragraphs to fix this, select
double space, then go back and type some more.  It always switches back to
single space at some point, and since Word doesn't have a reveal codes
feature, I cannot figure out where in the document it switches back to
single space.

Additionally, Microsoft changes the file format for Word documents with
every release it seems.  Word Perfect has had the same file format since
version 6 for DOS, which means I can write a document in Word Perfect 10
and open it on a 286 machine with 1 MB of RAM  running Word Perfect 6.

Word also feels like it is directed at the home market, and Word Perfect
feels like it was designed for the professional maket.  Of course, this is
subjective, but they are major annoyances which get in the way of getting
work done.

As I said, however, if Word does what you need it to, there may be no
reason to change, as it may very well be counter productive.

Marco Radzinschi

E-Mail: marco@radzinschi.com
AOL IM: CrackedBoy

Running FreeBSD 4.4-RELEASE i386
10:08AM  up 17 days, 18:37, 1 user, load averages: 1.00, 1.00, 1.00