Date:      Fri, 1 Mar 2013 21:40:32 +0100
From:      Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Mikolaj Golub <to.my.trociny@gmail.com>
Cc:        Chad M Stewart <cms@balius.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: hast, zfs, unable to flush disk cache

--GZVR6ND4mMseVXL/

On Fri, Mar 01, 2013 at 10:25:50PM +0200, Mikolaj Golub wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 01, 2013 at 11:39:23AM -0600, Chad M Stewart wrote:
>=20
> > I've setup a 2 node cluster using HAST.  I'd previously had this
> > running 9.0 and then rebuilt the nodes using 9.1.  Under 9.0 I used
> > vfs.zfs.vdev.bio_flush_disable=3D1 but that setting does not appear to
> > work in 9.1.  The other difference, previous build had root disk on
> > UFS, while this build has only ZFS based file systems.
> >=20
> > FreeBSD node1.san 9.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 9.1-RELEASE #0 r243826: Tue Dec  =
4 06:55:39 UTC 2012     root@obrian.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GE=
NERIC  i386
> >=20
> >=20
> > Mar  1 17:07:25 node1 hastd[1446]: [disk5] (primary) Unable to flush di=
sk cache on activemap update: Operation not supported by device.
> > Mar  1 17:07:28 node1 hastd[1440]: [disk3] (primary) Unable to flush di=
sk cache on activemap update: Operation not supported by device.
> > Mar  1 17:07:28 node1 hastd[1437]: [disk2] (primary) Unable to flush di=
sk cache on activemap update: Operation not supported by device.
> > Mar  1 17:07:28 node1 hastd[1434]: [disk1] (primary) Unable to flush di=
sk cache on activemap update: Operation not supported by device.
> > Mar  1 17:07:28 node1 hastd[1446]: [disk5] (primary) Unable to flush di=
sk cache on activemap update: Operation not supported by device.
> > Mar  1 17:07:28 node1 hastd[1443]: [disk4] (primary) Unable to flush di=
sk cache on activemap update: Operation not supported by device.
> >=20
> > I tried setting zfs set zfs:zfs_nocacheflush=3D1 <pool> but that
> > diddn't appear to work either.  I get a lot of lines in my log file
> > because of this.  I have also tried zfs set sync=3Ddisabled <pool> but
> > HAST still outputs those lines in the log file.
>=20
> These flushes were generated by HAST itself when it tried to flush
> activemap updates, that is why disabling BIO_FLUSH for ZFS dis not
> help much.
>=20
> Setting "metaflush off" in hast.conf should help though.
>=20
> BTW, hastd tries to detect devices that do not support BIO_FLUSH,
> checking for the returned errno, and automatically disable flushes if
> the errno is EOPNOTSUPP (Operation not supported). Unfortunately, your
> device returned ENODEV (Operation not supported by device).
>=20
> What device do you have?
>=20
> Pawel, do you think it would be a good idea to automatically disable
> activemap flush for ENODEV case too?

It would be better to find the driver that returns ENODEV and fix it, IMHO.

--=20
FreeBSD committer                         http://www.FreeBSD.org
Am I Evil? Yes, I Am!                     http://tupytaj.pl

--GZVR6ND4mMseVXL/