Date:      Tue, 07 Dec 1999 18:23:12 +0000
From:      Alex <ak@freenet.co.uk>
To:        "Vladimir N. Silyaev" <vsilyaev@mindspring.com>
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: VMware and CDROM was (Re: Linux ioctl not implemented error)

"Vladimir N. Silyaev" wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 06, 1999 at 12:11:38AM +0000, Alex wrote:
> [ skipped ]
> >> Dec 05 23:26:33: DISK: OPEN IDE 0:0 /usr/local/vmware/solaris persistent
> >> Dec 05 23:26:33: Virtual disk /usr/local/vmware/solaris is checkcapable
> >> Dec 05 23:26:33: DISK: ROOT COWDisk   /usr/local/vmware/solaris (866/15/63)
>
> > Disabling IDE 0:0 seems to help, but what good is a virtual machine
> > without a hard drive?
> As I understand you use vmware virtual disk, right?
> Did you proper create this disk? Because I didn't have any problem
> with virtual disk.
> I have very simple proposition, just try to create another disk.

You were right.  The problem was related to the fact that the disk was
located in /usr/local/vmware.   Linux applications look for /usr in
/usr/compat/linux/usr, and I had a symlink from
/usr/compat/linux/usr/local to /usr/local, because I needed to be able
to access /usr/local from Linux apps.   When I initially tried to create
a virtual disk in /usr/local, VMware died but had seemingly succeeded in
creating a virtual disk file.   When I restarted VMware, I continued to
use the same file, which was wrong (the file was probably corrupted).
Creating a file in /usr solved the problem (it was actually created in
/usr/compat/linux/usr).

This is something for Marcel to think about (there was also another
message about symlinks outside /compat/linux).

There's one odd thing, though.  Every time I start VMware, it complains
about not being able to lock the file:

"An error occurred while attempting to lock disk /usr/solaris.  VMware
cannot detect if other processes are using this disk at this time.

If your disk is on a FAT filesystem, this message is harmless.  You can
press OK safely if you are certain that no other application is
currently accessing the disk.

Press OK to continue, Cancel to abort.  If you choose not to show this
hint in the future, an OK answer is implied."

> > Vladimir's page says that raw devices are supported, but I refuse to
> > give it a real device.  I tried faking a raw device with vnconfig, but
> > vmware didn't like it (although the configuration editor let me edit the
> > faked device).
> Oh no, don't do such things. When you use raw device it must be
> a real IDE drive and (probably) block, not character device.

I don't see why not.   In fact, I used the vn0c device to mount a boot
floppy image, and specifying /dev/vn0c instead of /dev/fd0 in VMware
seems to work.

Alex