Date:      Wed, 3 Apr 2002 22:31:20 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>
To:        "Jacques A. Vidrine" <nectar@freebsd.org>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Heads up, a bit:  ephemeral port range changes

On Wed, 3 Apr 2002, Jacques A. Vidrine wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 03, 2002 at 10:00:27PM -0600, Mike Silbersack wrote:
> > If this really is going to cause problems,
> > it's better that we find out now rather than wait until 4.6-release.  (I
> > don't believe it will cause problems, in any case.)
>
> I disagree.  Some people running -STABLE will be behind firewalls
> which they don't administrate.  After updating one day [1], they may
> suddenly have network applications failing in strange ways.  For some
> people, it will be very hard to track down the problem.

Far more sweeping changes have been made to -stable in the past.  If
someone does experience failing outbound connections, I'm sure they can
re-read UPDATING, ask on a mailing list, or just go back to their previous
kernel until they figure it out.

Actually, I still have to go get permission from Warner to touch
UPDATING.  I'll go do that now.

Mike "Silby" Silbersack