Date:      Mon, 8 Feb 1999 12:24:50 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Donald R. Tyson" <tyson@alumni.stanford.org>
To:        Thomas David Rivers <rivers@dignus.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, fug-washdc@sytex.net
Subject:   Re: BSD friendly ISPs?

On Mon, 8 Feb 1999, Thomas David Rivers wrote:

> > Can anyone suggest an ISP serving the 703 area code, who is not 'chilled to
> > the bone' and the thought of helping someone who is not a Microsoft devote
> > to access the Internet?

I'm not sure how oriented  BellAtlantic is to small
business users, but I use bellatlantic.net from home with FreeBSD (2.2.8)
and Linux (SuSE5.3).  I also used them with RedHat5.1.  Their access
number from Falls Church is 703 875 3920.  They gave me the following
DNS numbers: 199.45.32.37 and 151.196.0.37.  They use PAP.

If you haven't tried them, the dialers wvdial*, xisp* and kppp (this
one is included in the KDE application suite) are all a snap to use
with Linux.  In FreeBSD, I used the scripts and instructions found
in the FreeBSD Handbook.

(Caveat:  I wouldn't know a pppd or a dial-on-demand if I found one on the
sidewalk, so simply followed directions.)

Regards.  Don Tyson