Date:      Mon, 24 May 1999 16:11:44 +0000
From:      Johan Kruger <jk@nanoteq.co.za>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Mounting Problems with FreeBSD 3.1

Hi there.
I made a boot stiffy which nfs mount some directory's and installed
other BSD boxes with it.
I made the stiffy when i still had FreeBSD 2.2.7 on my PC. Now i have
FreeBSD 3.1 installed
on my PC,  i mounted my stiffy to change the .profile file to add some
stuff. When i umounted and
booted with it, it doesn't go further when trying to extract the kzipped
kernel.

After this i  ( from the origanal image )  vnconfig'd the image and
mounted it r/w on /mnt.
Again i changed the .profile file. I unmounted /dev/vn0, did a vnconfig
-u /dev/vn0.
Now again i booted with it, to no avail. It does'nt even reach the
.profile ( i even removed the
.profile which is not needed for only booting ) , it just come's up with
extracting the kernel, the ' / '
gives to turns and then stops.

Is there some compatibaillity problem between the two file systems ( i
doubt it ), does mount
of 3.1 and 2.2.7 differ in such a way than you can not mount your older
stiffies ?? ( i doubt even
that ).

If anybody have an idea why the stiffy's file system is damaged if you
write or delete from it in
3.1 when the stiffy was made with 2.2.7 pppllllllleeeeaaaassseee help.

Sorry for the long description, tried to keep it short.

Please help, thanx
Johan Kruger