Date:      Fri, 29 Sep 1995 18:14:53 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Ron Lenk <rlenk@widget.xmission.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Mysterious reboot...any ideas?

After doing a build of FreeBSD stable on Sept. 12th, my machine ran
smoothly for 13 days, before it rebooted mysteriously this afternoon,
while I was editing a message in emacs.

At the bottom of the screen, I got a "Fatal error (1)" message, which
I later discovered came from emacs. Several seconds later ( not more
than 5 ) the familiar messages "...syslogd: exiting on signal 15",
followed by "syncing disks..." and "Rebooting..." were printed on
the console as if I had done a "reboot", or killed init.

I was the only person logged in at the time, and I am the only one with
root access here, so I'm certain that nobody rebooted the machine on
purpose. It looks to me as if init just died.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Ron

--
Ron Lenk -- rlenk@xmission.com